Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2019 at 12 PM CT (1 PM ET)
Title: The "Highs" and "Lows" of Cannabis in the Rehab Setting
Speakers: Dr. Paul Oh
Many of our patients in cardiac and pulmonary rehab are using cannabis products for medical or “recreational” purposes, and in many jurisdictions, sales have been legalized for months to years. As health professionals, our awareness about the pharmacology and clinical effects of cannabis may be lagging behind the widespread use of these products. This webinar will present a review of current literature and share some clinical observations in a case based format to enable more informed discussions and thoughtful assessments about cannabis use in our rehab settings.
1. Describe the pharmacology of cannabis and the different effects of THC and CBD
2. Evaluate the medical evidence for or against potential uses of cannabis by rehab clients
3. Be aware of the adverse effects of cannabis (THC) on the cardiovascular system
4. Update on the particular risk of vaping and lung injury
All individuals who have the ability to control or influence the content of an educational activity have disclosed all relevant relationships within the past 12 months with any commercial interest. Relevant relationships are relationships with a commercial interest if the products and services of the commercial interest are related to the content of the educational activity.
Education Committee Chair:
Nadine A. Greco, MS Nothing to Disclose
Paul Oh, MD, MSc, FRCPC, FACP Nothing to Disclose
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by Creighton University Health Sciences Continuing Education (HSCE) and American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). Creighton University Health Sciences Continuing Education (HSCE) is jointly accredited by the Accreditation council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
AACVPR CE: this course has been approved by the AACVPR Professional Education Committee for a total of 1.0 AACVPR Continuing Education Credits.
Nurse CE: Creighton University Health Sciences Continuing Education designates this activity for 1.0 contact hours for nurses. Nurses should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Add the following disclaimer to the bottom of all live webcast webpages, and to the bottom of the product description in the Learning Center: ACSM approved providership of this program does not imply endorsement of the sponsoring organization’s products/services.
ACSM Approval Statement:
- Add the following disclaimer to the bottom of all live webcast webpages, and to the bottom of the product description in the Learning Center: The American College of Sports Medicine’s Professional Education Committee certifies that “American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR)” meets the criteria for official ACSM Approved Provider status from (2019 – December 2022). Approved Providers and their content reflect the concepts of their respective organizations and do not necessarily represent the positions or policies of ACSM. Providership # 852797.
Accessing CE Credits:
Successful completion is required in order to claim CE including 100% score on the knowledge assessment and completion of the course evaluation. All knowledge assessments and course evaluations are included in the Webcast Recording product. Instructions will be sent following the live webcast on how to access the Webcast Recording and take the knowledge assessment and course evaluation.
Please note that additional CE requests must identify the paid registrant with whom they are watching the Webcast. Additional CE will be available to purchase following the Live Event.